Thursday, April 10, 2014

April Views on Orange Lake

A quiet canoe ride on Orange Lake yesterday evening provided some interesting surprises.

Immature white ibis feeding on the 'floating island'
(clumps of peat and plant matter)

Both photos taken with my I-Phone 
in full zoom so kind of fuzzy-

 Some of the willow trees which I think are Black Willow, were going to seed. They looked like a bush full of cotton. 

Linking to Skywatch Friday


The water was covered with the little seeds and fluff. Actually a child in my class that day had said she found 'cotton' on the walkway over the marsh- I bet that was the willow!


We had seen the willow blooming in March with honeybees all over them. 


This was blooming as well...
Linking to Macro Monday 2

I don't know the name and am going to guess with Cyrilla racemiflora ?

Swamp TiTi or Leatherwood
  Does anyone recognize this?

I've seen it along the Ocklawaha river as well. 


Happy Weekend!












5 comments:

Ela said...

Such a wonderful place !
Greetings

Lois said...

What a lovely place! Your pictures are great. I don't think I have ever seen a willow like that before!

Mridula said...

Lovely pictures and a happy weekend to you too!

Alexa T said...

So pleasant place and so interesting things I just found about willow... for sure it's so nice to see such sort of fine details in nature!! Thanks for sharing them!

Jane said...

Thanks everyone for the comments! It is a special place to live!