Monday, April 7, 2014

Weaving on Bamboo

I introduced weaving to my Gainesville class today and for all but one child, it was their first experience with weaving. 


 I thought it would be fun to have them weave on a branch- kind of organic and unprecise, and we have a lot of bamboo that was recently cut. I played around weaving some yarn and ribbon between the small branches to see how well it would work. 




 We practiced with paper first to get the hang of it. 













Weaving is great for refining fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination. It offers an experience of working with different textures and materials and a feeling of satisfaction in creating a decorative or useful object. 













These looms are made by folding the paper in half and cutting the 'warp' lines from the fold up to within an inch of the top of the paper. 














The lines can be drawn first, so it is easier to follow.
 I had them vary the 'warp' with some straight and some wavy lines.

The weft pieces are woven under, over, under over


Next, they created a loom with a bamboo branch. 



The kids used yarn to create the warp by wrapping back and forth between two branches. The yarn was wound a few times around each branch, before going back across to the other. 


I provided various choices of yarn to weave through the warp. 


 I also had feathers, beads and shells they could weave in. 


They really did well and had fun!



Depending on how the bamboo is cut, there can be several tiers of weaving and it can actually stand up, balancing on the branches




2 comments:

Share my Garden said...

Hello Jane, I do like the results of the paper weaving - Matisse would be proud!

lorik said...

What a lovely, happy post...nostalgic too. I remember the paper weaving from my kinder days:) Thanks for sharing on MoM:)